Dr. McKenzie’s research has contributed to the understanding of how air pollutants and other exposures resulting from the unconventional development of petroleum resources may affect the public’s health. Her studies investigating associations between adverse birth outcomes and childhood cancers and proximity to oil and gas development are among the first epidemiological studies on this topic to appear in the published literature. Her sentinel human health risk assessment indicated the potential for respiratory, neurological, and developmental health outcomes resulting from exposure to air pollutants emitted during natural gas development. She has testified before the United States Congress and the Denver Metropolitan Regional Air Quality Council on the public health implications of natural gas development.
Areas of Expertise
- Environmental epidemiology
- Exposure assessment
- Human health risk assessment
- EHOH 6990 Capstone Preparation
- PUBH 6691 Capstone Integration
- HSMP 6640 Leadership in Public Health Practice 2
- PBHL 3020 Undergraduate Introduction to Environmental Health
- NHLBI Development of hydraulically fractured oil and natural gas sites and incidence of atrial fibrillation claims in Colorado's All Payer Claims Database, March 2019-February 2021
Publications and Presentations
- McKenzie, LM, W Allshouse, T Byers, E Bedrick, B Serdar, and JL Adgate. 2017. Childhood hematologic cancer and residential proximity to oil and gas development in rural Colorado. PLoS One. 2017 Feb 15;12(2):e0170423. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0170423. PMID: 28199334.
- McKenzie L.M., Allshouse, W.B., Burke, T., Blair, B.D., Adgate, J.L., Population Size, Growth, and Environmental Justice Near Oil and Gas Wells in Colorado. Environ Sci Technol. 2016; 50 (21): 11471-11480. DOI: 10/1021/acs.est6b04391.
- McKenzie, L.M., Allshouse, W.B., Daniels, Stephen Congenital Heart Defects and Intensity of Oil and Gas Well Site Activities in Early Pregnancy. Environment International, 2019, 132: 104949.
- McKenzie, L.M., Benjamin Blair, B., Hughes, J., Allshouse, W.B., Blake, N.J., Helmig, D., Milmoe, P., Halliday, H., Blake, D.R., Adgate, J.L. Ambient Non-Methane Hydrocarbon Levels Along Colorado’s Northern Front Range: Acute and Chronic Health Risks. Environ Sci Technol. 2018; 52 (8): 4514-4525.
- McKenzie L.M., Witter R.Z., Newman L.S., Adgate J.L. Human health risk assessment of air emissions from development of unconventional natural gas resources. Sci Total Environ. 2012; 424: 79-87