Originally established in 1911 as a department of the School of Medicine at the University of Colorado at Boulder, the School of Pharmacy opened its doors with two students and one faculty member. The school became an independent college in 1913, the same year it awarded its first degree. CU Pharmacy became a school in 1957, later joining the CU Denver Campus in 1986. The school held its first classes at the former Health Sciences Center campus in 1992.
In 2008, the school moved to the CU Anschutz Medical Campus, a comprehensive health center where teaching, research and health care combine.
For more than a century, the school has been breaking barriers, embracing diversity and making groundbreaking discoveries.
Here a just a few important milestones:
Ranked in the top 15 percent of pharmacy schools in the U.S., the school has a reputation for preparing students for high levels of success. In addition to traditional on-campus pharmacy education, CU Pharmacy has also been the global leader in online pharmacy education for more than 20 years.
In 1961, the school achieved a milestone by growing from one faculty member to nine. Over the next 50 years and beyond, the school continued to grow. As of 2020, the school has 109 faculty members who make groundbreaking discoveries and lead the way in clinical care.
At the school’s home on the CU Anschutz Medical Campus, innovation continues. Thanks to a $10 million gift from the Skaggs family and the ALSAM Foundation, the school built a 165,000 square foot building to house faculty offices, student services and research laboratories allowing the school to grow its pharmaceutical biotechnology program and create a drug-development center to focus on new medications.
Dedicated in 2011, the school was renamed the Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences in recognition of the family’s long-standing support. The Skaggs family is nationally recognized as pioneers in the retail drug and grocery business and as generous philanthropists.
The building is located at 12850 East Montview Boulevard, between the AMC Library and the Henderson Parking Structure on the north edge of the Anschutz Medical Campus.