Originally established in 1911 as a department of the School of Medicine at the University of Colorado at Boulder, the School of Pharmacy opened its doors with two students and one faculty member. The school became an independent college in 1913, the same year it awarded its first degree. CU Pharmacy became a school in 1957, later joining the CU Denver Campus in 1986. The school held its first classes at the former Health Sciences Center campus in 1992. In 2008, the school moved to the CU Anschutz Medical Campus, a comprehensive health center where teaching, research and health care combine.
Thanks to a $10 million gift from the Skaggs family and The ALSAM Foundation, the school built a 165,000 square foot building to house faculty offices, student services and research laboratories allowing the school to grow its pharmaceutical biotechnology program and create a drug-development center to focus on new medications.
Dedicated in 2011, the school was renamed the Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences in recognition of the family’s long-standing support.